Ultimate Honey-Avocado Face Mask for Glowing Skin
The winter months can dry out our skin making it feel tight, flaky and irritated especially if you live in a dry weather state like Arizona, the Dakotas, California or Nevada. To keep my skin hydrated and glowy I like to pamper myself with my Ultimate Honey-Avocado Face Mask to nourish my skin.
I love using natural everyday ingredients like avocado, eggs and olive oil because I know exactly what is going into my skin. The benefits of making your own face mask at home are that you know there are no hidden chemicals or preservatives.
Watch my step by step youtube tutorial or scroll to the bottom of this page for the recipe.
Avocado is an amazing superfruit full of antioxidants and healthy fats. Avocados contain the following vitamins and minerals:
Vitamin K: 26% of the daily value (DV)
Folate: 20% of the DV
Vitamin C: 17% of the DV
Potassium: 14% of the DV
Vitamin B5: 14% of the DV
Vitamin B6: 13% of the DV
Vitamin E: 10% of the DV
Avocado also contains small amounts of magnesium, manganese, copper, iron, zinc, phosphorous and vitamins A, B1 (thiamine), B2 (riboflavin) and B3 (niacin). The oleic acid (a healthy fat) in avocados, helps reduce inflammation, lowering redness and also fighting wrinkles.
Oatmeal is also great if you have redness or sunburned skin. Oatmeal has rich anti-oxidant properties and helps undo the damage done to your skin by pollution, UV rays, and chemicals. Oats reduces itching and inflammation and can be used to calm eczema and heal psoriasis. Owing to its healing, moisturizing and anti-oxidant properties, oatmeal is effective in soothing sunburn.
7 Benefits of Oatmeal for Skin:
- Owing to its saponin content, oats work as a terrific natural skin cleanser. Whether you have sensitive or dry skin, it doesn’t strip its natural oils.
- If you have ultra-sensitive skin that can’t tolerate exfoliators, oats can be a great alternative owing to its texture.
- Rich in proteins and lipids oatmeal has potent emollient properties making it a great moisturizer. Doing this and also using a gentle moisturizer like Olay will make your skin softer than a baby’s.
- Oatmeal has rich anti-oxidant properties and helps undo the damage done to your skin by pollution, UV rays, and chemicals.
- Oats reduces itching and inflammation and can be used to calm eczema and heal psoriasis.
- Owing to its healing, moisturizing and anti-oxidant properties, oatmeal is effective in soothing sunburn.
- Oatmeal is anti-pruritic and helps control the itching that is inherent in various skin diseases and fungal infections.
Apple cider vinegar is fantastic for your skin. However, not all types of apple cider vinegar are created equal. You’ll want to purchase one that has the “mother.” Only this type of apple cider vinegar contains over 30 beneficial enzymes, amino acids, vitamins, and minerals. It is best to dilute it in a mask and never applying directly to the skin since the acidic content in vinegar is very high and can negatively affect the ph balance of your skin.
Lemons are fantastic for your skin; they are antibacterial and brightening. However, just like vinegar, lemon has a very low pH, meaning it is very acidic and can damage your skin if abused or cause sunburn if used directly on skin then going out in the sun. It is best used in a mask or diluted for maximal beautifying results.
Lemon can assist in clearing acne! Lemons contain antibacterial properties, helping fight the bacteria agents causing your breakouts. It also acts as a natural exfoliator; it removes dead skin cells that can clog your pores.
Raw honey is rich in antioxidants and antibacterial properties. It helps to open and unclog pores while providing amazing anti-aging benefits. According to beauty expert Kim Wallace, “whether you’re looking for an inexpensive DIY solution or a powerful skin treatment, raw honey can help you regain your glow,” adding, “[r]aw honey can help unclog pores while simultaneously delivering moisture to parched skin.”
Here is my Ultimate Honey-Avocado Face Mask Recipe:
- 1/2 Avocado
- 1/4 cup Oatmeal (ground if possible)
- 2 tbs Raw Honey
- 1 tbs apple cider vinegar with the “mother”
- 1tsp lemon juice
Directions: Mix everything together until you have a thick puree like consistency.
Apply on face and neck and leave it on for ~20 minutes. Rinse gently with warm water.
Sources used and additional information:
OneGreenPlanet: Avocado benefits
GoodHousekeeping: Lemon benefits
SheKnows: Honey benefits
RewardMe: Oatmeal benefits
Odylique: Apple Cider Vinegar benefits